She Wore the Uniform. I Wore the Saree – Part 5
She Wore the Uniform. I Wore the Saree – Part 5
Chapter 5 – The Village Began Looking at Her
Meena's first day in uniform did not begin with excitement. It began with routine. She woke before sunrise, folded the blanket neatly, bathed quietly, and stood before the mirror wearing her khaki uniform for the first time inside our house. I had seen photographs of police officers before, but photographs never carried presence. Meena did. The uniform did not make her look bigger or louder. It simply made her look as though she belonged to a different world, one that had rules, responsibility, and very little room for hesitation. She adjusted her belt once, pinned her name badge carefully, and tied her hair tighter than usual. Without saying anything, I found myself brushing away a small speck of dust from her shoulder. She smiled softly and thanked me before picking up her cap.
Outside, Kandamalli Puram was already awake. Women were drawing kolams in front of their houses. The tea stall near the banyan tree had filled with farmers discussing water, prices, and politics. Children were running barefoot with school bags hanging loosely from their shoulders. Nothing about the village had changed overnight. Yet the moment Meena stepped out through our gate, conversations slowed. Nobody called her name. Nobody welcomed her loudly. They simply watched. In villages like ours, people never formed opinions in a hurry. They preferred watching first. Talking came later.
As we walked towards the bus stop together, I noticed something I had never experienced before. Earlier, people greeted me first because I was the man of the house. That morning, almost every greeting belonged to Meena. An old school teacher who had taught both of us folded his hands and wished her well. The milkman smiled proudly and said the whole village was talking about her. Two young girls stopped walking just to see her uniform closely before whispering something to each other. Meena answered everyone with the same calm smile. She did not speak more than necessary. Police training had changed even the way she listened.
When the bus arrived, she climbed in without looking nervous. Months ago, I had watched her leave this village with uncertainty hidden behind her smile. This time she stood near the window confidently and gave me a small nod before the bus pulled away. She did not wave. I stood there until the bus disappeared beyond the tamarind trees, wondering why that small difference stayed with me longer than it should have.
The rest of the day felt strangely empty. Farming had become uncertain long before Meena left for training. The rains had failed us more than once, and most of the land now demanded money instead of giving it back. There was work to do, but not enough to fill an entire day. I cleaned the courtyard, checked the cattle shed, and repaired a broken wooden stool that did not really need repairing. Every small job delayed a thought I was trying not to think.
By afternoon, someone knocked on the gate.It was Murugan from the next street. I assumed he had come to speak about the borewell, but instead he asked, "Has Meena Madam left for duty?"
For a moment I did not answer. The word Madam sounded unfamiliar inside our courtyard. I simply nodded.He smiled. Good. Our village should be proud.He stayed only a minute before leaving.The conversation was short, but it remained with me long after he was gone.
That evening, another visitor came. Then another. One wanted to know where she had been posted. Another wanted to ask whether recruitment would happen again. One father quietly asked what his daughter should study if she also wanted to join the police one day. Until a few months ago, nobody would have imagined asking such a question inside my house. Without realizing it, our home had started becoming a place people entered because of Meena.
She returned after sunset.
Her walk was slower than it had been in the morning. Dust covered her shoes, and faint lines of sweat had dried near the collar of her uniform. She looked tired, but not defeated. There was a kind of tiredness that came from working hard, and another that came from carrying responsibility. I felt she was beginning to know the second kind.
Long day? I asked while serving dinner.She nodded. There was a land dispute in the next village. Nothing serious. It just took time.She spoke about it the way I once spoke about crop failures. Calmly. Without drama. As though difficult days were simply part of the job.
After dinner, she folded her uniform carefully instead of leaving it on the chair. As she placed it aside, I noticed a faint smell I could not recognize. It was not the smell of dust from village roads or the sweat that remained after hard work in the fields. It was different. Sharp, but not unpleasant. I wondered if police stations always carried that smell. Before I could ask, she had already walked to the backyard to wash her face. The thought disappeared as quickly as it had arrived.
The next morning I woke before Meena.For years, she had been the one who entered the kitchen first. Now I stood there lighting the stove while the house remained silent around me. I measured rice, boiled milk, and packed lunch before she finished getting ready. None of it felt unusual. In fact, it felt practical. Her duty started early. Mine did not. That was all, I told myself. When she came into the kitchen, she looked at everything for a moment before smiling. You've done all this already? There wasn't much to do," I replied.She thanked me, picked up the lunch carrier, and left for work.
I watched her walk down the street wearing the same confidence she had brought back from training.Only after she disappeared did I notice something else.The breakfast plate I had prepared for myself was still on the table.Her plate was empty.Mine had become the one waiting.It was a small thing.Perhaps too small to matter.But Kandamalli Puram had taught me long ago that lives rarely changed all at once.They changed quietly.One ordinary morning at a time.
Check out the previous parts of the story
She Wore the Uniform. I Wore the Saree – Part 4
She Wore the Uniform. I Wore the Saree – Part 3